Pre-school Special Education is a program established to serve children 3-5 years of age who exhibit Significant Developmental Delay (SDD) in at least one of five developmental areas or who meet eligibility in any of the “categorical” eligibility areas, such as Speech Impaired, Visually Impaired, Hearing Impaired, and/or Orthopedically Impaired.
Pre-school Special Education services are provided through all school systems in Georgia and are free of charge to parents, It is Hall County’s philosophy that early intervention is essential to providing support to children at an early age in order to lessen the impact of entering kindergarten with developmental delays.
Services that may be provided include, but are not limited to: comprehensive evaluation services, direct instruction from preschool special education teacher, speech and/or language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, transportation, direct instruction from a teacher for the visually impaired, direct instruction from a teacher for the hearing impaired, audiological services, referrals to other agencies.
Children should be referred to Pre-school Special Education when they appear to show delays in any one of the five areas listed above. According to the revised Georgia rules/regulations the term Significant Developmental Delay does not apply to children who are experiencing a slight or temporary lag in one or more areas of development, or a delay which is primarily due to environmental, cultural, or economic disadvantage or lack of experience in age appropriate activities.
Referrals come from many sources including, but not limited to: Babies can’t wait, parents, physicians, daycare providers, pre-k teachers, Head Start, family, friends, teachers of siblings.
For a parent to refer their child to a screener, please contact the Preschool Special Education Department by phone at 770-534-3939 or 770-534-1080.
The five areas of Significant Developmental Delay are:
Upcoming screener dates are:
CHILD STUDY TEAM DATES
Wednesday, August 23, 2023
Wednesday, September 13, 2023
Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Wednesday, October 11, 2023
Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Wednesday, December 13, 2023
Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Wednesday, February 14, 2024
Wednesday, February 28, 2024
Wednesday, March 13, 2024
Wednesday, March 27, 2024
Wednesday, April 24, 2024
Wednesday, May 8, 2024
Appointment times will be between 8:00am and 12:00pm
Prior to obtaining a Child Study Team appointment, parents will need to register their child on-line at the elementary school they are zoned to attend at www.hallco.org. They will need to provide the following information and attend a zoom meeting with the school:
- Child’s Birth Certificate
- 2 Proofs of Residency (i.e. phone bill, utility bill, etc.)
- Immunization Certificate (Form 3231)
- Certificate of Vision, Hearing, Dental, and Nutritional Screening (Form 3300)
- Child’s Social Security Card
- Parent’s Identification
BABIES CAN’T WAIT PRE-TRANSITION MEETINGS
Wednesday, August 9, 2023
Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Wednesday, November 8, 2023
Wednesday, December 6, 2023
Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Wednesday, March 6, 2024
Wednesday, April 10, 2024
Wednesday, May 1, 2024
*All meetings will be held in person or by zoom between 9:30 am and 11:30 am.
*All meetings will be held at the Preschool Intervention Center located at Howard E. Ivester Early College at 1 Sixth Street, Gainesville, GA 30504.
*Parents will need to bring the following:
- Completed packet
- Parents will need to register their child on-line (www.hallco.org) at the elementary school their child is zoned to attend. Parents will need a copy of their child’s birth certificate, immunization certificate (Form 3132), 2 proofs of residency (i.e. phone bill, light bill, utility bill, etc.), Certificate of Vision, Hearing, Dental, and Nutritional Screening (Form 3300), the child’s social security card, and a copy of their identification. Parents have been notified of their home school district and are encouraged to register their child prior to attending one of these meetings.
- Copies of medical records (i.e. vision or hearing tests, developmental testing, or any other related test results)
- List of contact information for physicians and therapists
*If you have any questions or would like to schedule an individual appointment, please contact out office at (770)534-3939 ext. 7122