At the regular board meeting on May 21st, the Hall County Board of Education approved the tentative budget for the fiscal year 2019 (School year 2018 – 2019). The annual budget is a complete financial plan for the School District’s upcoming fiscal year and serves as the basis for the District’s operating and instructional plans. The tentative budget and budget adoption calendar is open for public inspection on the School District’s Budget webpage.
Highlights in the fiscal year 2019 budget include:
- An expected increase in Quality Basic Education (QBE) formula earnings of $9.5 million.
- An expected increase of $1 million in Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) receipts.
- An expected decrease of $500,000 in income due to the expiration of the tax sharing agreement with Gainesville City Schools.
- Funding to provide an additional $3.5 million for teacher step raises and for 36 new teaching positions at Cherokee Bluff High School & Cherokee Bluff Middle School.
- Funding to provide an additional $1 million for school administration step raises and for new principal, assistant principal, administrative and clerical positions at Cherokee Bluff High School & Cherokee Bluff Middle School.
- Funding to provide an additional $2.2 million related to benefits for teachers and administrators due to step raises and new positions at Cherokee Bluff Middle School and Cherokee Bluff High School.
- Budgeted expenditure increase of $5.5 million to accommodate Teacher Retirement System rate increase from 16.81% to 20.90%.
- Funding to provide for rate increases for contracted custodial services of $500,000.
- Funding to provide for needed maintenance, purchases, and updates of the School District’s bus fleet of $400,000 and accommodation for fuel price increases totaling $600,000.
- Funding to provide for across-the-board salary increases for teachers and staff, totaling $2.1 million.
All concerned citizens are encouraged to attend the upcoming board meetings and public hearings to provide public comment regarding the millage rate and fiscal year 2019 budget, to be held at the Hall County School District, 711 Green Street, Gainesville, Georgia 30501 as follows:
June 11, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. (Work Session)
June 11, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. (Public Hearing)
June 13, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. (Public Hearing)
June 25, 2018 at 11:30 a.m. (Public Hearing)
June 25, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. (Regular Board Meeting)
June 25, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. (Public Hearing)