Public School Choice Information – House Bill 251

House Bill 251 (2017-18)

Public School Choice Framework

Annual Choice Notification

Hall County Schools

April 1, 2017


Information for 2017-2018 enrollments:

A parent or guardian of a student currently enrolled in the Hall County School District may request to transfer the student to another public school in the school district for the upcoming 2017-18 school year.

As a parent or guardian, you can request to have your child transferred to another public school within the school district as long as the district has determined that there is available classroom space at the school you requested. If you choose to transfer your child to another school in the district, the law requires you to assume all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of your child to and from the school. A student may be returned to his/her zoned school for excessive absenteeism or tardiness.

If a parent requests a transfer to a school that does not have the services required by the current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Individualized Accommodation Plan (IAP), HB 251 does not require the school to develop those services as long as they are available within the local school system. Students who transfer under HB 251 are subject to GHSA eligibility requirements.

For your convenience, the district’s list of potential schools with available classroom space for the upcoming school year is attached. In order to process your request, you will need to complete and submit the attached “HB 251 Transfer Request Form.”  Requests for transfers must be submitted to the school district between April 3 – May 19, 2017. Please submit the completed form to Mr. Kevin Bales, 711 Green Street, Gainesville, GA 30501.

In the event a particular school has available space and the number of transfer requests exceeds the remaining available capacity, transfer requests will be reviewed and approved or denied on the basis of a lottery. Once available classroom space is reached at a school, no more transfers will be accepted at that school. 

If you have questions regarding this procedure, please contact Mr. Kevin Bales, Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning at 770-534-1080.


Links (attached):

file_pdfHouse Bill 251 – Letter to Parents: 2017-2018

file_pdfHouse Bill 251 – Procedure for Implementing: 2017-2018

file_pdfHouse Bill 251 – Hall County List of Potential Schools: 2017-2018

file_pdfHouse Bill 251 – Transfer Request Form: 2017-2018