We are very excited about our new leadership focus, "Learning through Leading!" We are emphasizing 7 leadership habits based on Steven Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. These habits will help your child to become a more successful and vital part of their school, workforce and community! These habits are:
- Be proactive! In this habit students learn that they are responsible for their own behavior. They are learning to think before they act, and to "do the right think even when no one is looking."
- Begin with the end in mind! In this habit students learn to plan ahead and stay focused on their goals.
- Seek first to understand then to be understood! In this habit students are learning to consider the points of view of others.
- Think Win-Win! In this habit children are learning to have an 'everyone can win' attitude!
- Synergize! In this habit children are learning that more is accomplished when we work together.
- Put first things first! In this habit children are learning to complete the important things first.
- Sharpen the Saw! In this habit children are learning to take care of their bodies by exercising, eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and taking time to relax and enjoy themselves.
We are very proud of the changes that we are already seeing in our students. We have more exciting leadership activities planned for the rest of the school year.:
- Murals will be painted on the wall encouraging students to "Find the Leader in Themselves."
- Charms and bracelets will be given out to those students who exhibit the habits.
- Student ambassadors will be elected, either through teacher nomination or an application/interview process. These students will serve a vital role in the Leadership of our school.
- After school clubs designed to develop leadership characteristics will continue to meet throughout the year. Clubs include technology club, wellness club, 4-H public speaking club, chorus, boys of distinction, and girls of vision.
- A Leadership Wall will be created to highlight community leaders, school leaders, and student leaders.
- Leadership Rallies will be held each month. We will recognize our students and faculty who show leadership within our school.
- A Student Community Involvement Program will begin. Students will be selected to become a part of this exciting program. One student from each grade level will represent our school each month to reach out and appreciate those who serve in our community. In January, we will be taking a small token of appreciation to the police department. In February, we will be going to the fire department. In March, we will be going to the Post Office and in April, we will be going to Good News at Noon.
Please encourage your children to practice the 7 habits at home, school, and in the community. It is our goal for our students to use these 7 habits effectively in all areas of their lives. Thank you for your support of our mission.